Pioneering new treatment for osteoarthritis now available!
We are delighted to announce that My Foot Doctor now offers the pioneering treatment of Ostenil® injections, administered on-site by our Podiatrist, to treat a variety of lower limb conditions caused by Osteoarthritis. Click here for more information, how osteoarthritis affects our joints. Ostenil® injections are designed to treat the symptoms of osteoarthritis. Injections can be administered in the knee, ankle and foot or any other joints that are classified as ‘synovial.’
It can be used in conjunction with steroid injections, or can be used as a stand alone treatment for osteoarthritis, to reduce pain and swelling. Click here to find out more about synovial joints, and how osteoarthritis affects these joints.
Ostenil® injections – what are they and how can they help?
Ostenil® injections consist of a solution containing sodium hyaluronate. The injection needs to be administered, by a fully qualified practitioner, into the space in the joint that contains synovial fluid. It works by restoring the normal balance between the breakdown and production of hyaluronic acid within the joint. The effect is that it can decrease pain and stiffness, and improve the other symptoms of osteoarthritis.
Our Podiatrist, Lynnette Nisbet who is registered to give these injections to patients on-site at My Foot Doctor, says;
“I have over 9 years experience administering injections into joints of patients affected by osteoarthritis. I’ve found Ostenil® treatment to be particularly effective for osteoarthritis, as an alternative to steroid injections and a great alternative to knee surgery".
“Further evidence from Cochrane reviews (internationally recognised as the highest standard in evidence based health care) has concluded that these types of injections are effective treatments for mild to moderate knee osteoarthritis. It’s unfortunately not a treatment that is readily offered by the NHS but I am finding increased numbers of people asking me to administer these injections after hearing the success stories from others.”
For the full review, please visit http://www.cochrane.org/CD005321/MUSKEL_viscosupplementation-for-the-treatment-of-osteoarthritis-of-the-knee.
What can I expect if I decide to have treatment with Ostenil®?
If you decide to have treatment with Ostenil®, it will be injected directly into the joint affected by osteoarthritis. There is different methods available depending on your condition. As you may only require one injection OSTENIL® PLUS or a course of injections one week apart OSTENIL® .
- Ostenil® requires a course of injections once a week for 3 weeks until you have had 3 injections. In some cases your Podiatrist may give up to 5 injections, some patients only require one injection depending on the grade of degeneration in the affected joint.
- OSTENIL® PLUS, Only requires 1 injection, this is an isotonic solution of highly purified sodium hyaluronate (or hyaluronic acid) developed specifically for the treatment of osteoarthritis. However The formulation of OSTENIL® PLUS utilises the combination of high concentration of sodium hyaluronate + mannitol. This formulation offers the option to reduce the number of SH injections to only one injection per treatment cycle.
- Pregnant and lactating women
- People with an inflammatory condition (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis).
Benefits of Ostenil
- An injection of sodium hyaluronate increases the viscosity of the synovial fluid, restoring its lubricating, shock-absorbing and filtering properties.
- In addition, it re-establishes the protective coating of hyaluronan over the inner surface of the joint and increases the scavenging of free radicals.
- As a result of these changes, sodium Hyaluronate reduces inflammation of the synovial membrane.
Or Watch Leading pharmaceutical company TRB Chemedica, the manufacturers of Ostensil, interview top orthopeadic surgeon Sanjiv Jari about the advancements of medical treatment for athletes and non athletes. How Pioneering intra articular injections, such as the Ostenil have benefited patients.
Call us today for a free Consultation: 01698 860070 or why not text any question you may have direct to our Podiatrist on: 07985687770 for appointments, we offer late night appointments every Thursday.